Prof. (Dr.) Nirmal Kanti Chakrabarti (M.A., LL.M., Ph.D.) joined in West Bengal Education Service in 1985 as Lecturer in Law in Hooghly Mohsin College. Thereafter he joined the University of Calcutta in 1996 and become Professor w.e.f. 1st January 2007.
He has also served as Adjunct Professor of Law in Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, IIT Kharagpur during 2007-2008. He was Head of Department of Law, University of Calcutta during 2002-2004. He has published 7 Books and more than 70 articles and research papers in National & International Journals. He has successfully guided fifteen (15) Ph. D. Scholars and at present 8 Scholars pursuing the Ph.D under his supervision including one from University of Colombo, Srilanka. He was associated with various research projects sponsored and/or conducted by Ministry of Law & Justice, Govt. of India; NLSIU, Bangalore; the International Centre for Criminal Law Reform and Criminal Justice Policy, Vancouver, Canada; NUJS, Kolkata under Ford Foundation; as Project Director, West Bengal in Access to Justice Project sponsored by UNDP; World Justice Project Rule of Law Index sponsored by the American Bar Association. He has also contributed in the UGC funded major project namely “Use of Forensic Science in the Administration of Criminal Justice Administration”. Recently he has completed an ICSSR Sponsored Research Project on the area of Police-Public Relation in the Capital Cities of North Eastern States of India.
Dr. Chakrabarti is very well known face in the international legal fraternity. In July 2016 he visited on a Research Project to Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Freiburg, Germany. He has participated in more than 60 national and 9 international seminars & conferences and visited countries like Japan, South Korea, USA, UK, Spain, Thailand, Vietnam & Singapore, Germany. He was nominated as Chair, Institutional and Faculty Collaboration Research Committee of Internationals Association of Law School ,Washington during 2013-2015. He was conferred Fellowship of Indian Society of Criminology in 2001 and was President of the Indian Society of Victimolog during 2011-14.
|Degree||Year||University||Major Field of Specialization|
|Ph.D||1992||University of Burdwan||Criminal Justice/Penology|
|LL.M.||1984||Calcutta University||Tort and Crime|
|M.A.||1981||Calcutta University||Political Science|
|LL. B.||1979||Calcutta University||18 Compulsory Papers|
|B.A.||1975||Calcutta University||English, Pol. Science|
Title of the Ph.D. Thesis: “Probation in the Administration of Criminal Justice in West Bengal: A Critical Appraisal of the System”.
|Director||KIIT University||27.06.2009 till date|
|Professor||Calcutta University||01.01.2007 – 26.06.2009|
|Adjunct Professor||IIT Kharagpur, RGSIPL||21.07.2007 – 31.12.2008|
|Reader||Calcutta University||27.07.1998 – 31.12.2006|
|Senior Lecturer||Calcutta University||26.11.1996 – 26.07.1998|
|Lecturer||Govt. of West Bengal Hooghly Mohsin College||05.07.1985 – 25.11.1996|
- Director, KIIT Law School, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar since 27th June 2009 till date.
- Head, Department of Law, Calcutta University from December 21st 2002 to October 21,2004.
- Head (Officer-in-Charge), Law Section, Govt. of West Bengal, Hooghly Mohsin College, from July 5,1985 to 26th November 1996.
- Successfully guided twelve (12) Ph.D scholars leading to their Ph.D. Degrees.
- At present guiding six Ph.D. Scholars.
- Worked as JointCo-coordinator, Calcutta Task Force Govt. of India sponsored Project Reformulation of Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act during 1992-93.with National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore.
- Invited by the West Bengal Second Police Commission to act as Adviser to the Task Force in the area of Criminal Justice and Investigation during 1997.
- Invited by the International Center for Criminal Law Reform and Criminal Justice Policy, Vancouver, Canada to act as Indian Member of International Panel of Experts and submitted a Report in Indian perspective on Draft Resource Manual and Compendium on the Model Strategies and Practical Measures on the Elimination of Violence Against Women in the Field of Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice during August-September 1998 (U.N. General Assembly Resolution, December,1997 No.52/86).
- Worked as a Member of West Bengal Research Team of National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS), Kolkata, on the research project Criminal Justice Reform sponsored by Ford Foundation, New Delhi during 2000-2001.
- Worked as Project Director (West Bengal) on UNDP and Ministry of Justice, Govt. of India sponsored project on “Access to Justice to Poor and Disadvantaged People” during 2006-2007.
- Worked as Expert from India in the World Justice Project Rule of Law Index 2010, a multidisciplinary, multinational research project to advance the rule of law for communities of opportunity and equity, published from Washington, D.C.,U.S.A. For details see; www.worldjusticeproject.org
- Working as Principal Investigator in UGC-UPEMajor Research Project on Use of Forensic Science in the Administration of Justice in India: A Futuristic Study” in the University of Calcutta from September 2007. (For detailse ANNEXURE I)
- Books – 7 (Seven)
- Book Review – 4 (Three)
- Papers/Articles – (Fifty Five) including two in the International Journals
Membership in Academic Bodies
- Life Member, Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
- Life Member, Indian Society of Criminology, Chennai.
- Life Member, Indian Society of Victimology, Chennai.
- Life Member, Central India Law Institute, Jabbalpur, M.P.
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Social Sciences, Allahabad.
- Life Member, Asiatic Society, Kolkata.
- Associate Member, American Correctional Association, Washington, U.S.A.
Member of Editorial Boards in Journals
- Editor, KIIT Journal of Law and Society (ISSN No.2231-5144)
- General Editor, International Journal of Legislative Drafting and Law Reform, London.
- Member, Advisory Board, Indian Human Rights Law Review (ISSN no.2230-7036)
- Member, Advisory Board, Indian Journal of Law and Justice (ISSN no.0976-3570)
- Member, Advisory Board, India International Journal of Juridical Sciences (ISSN no.2278-3237)
Extended Academic Activities
- Delivered Lectures in the Orientation and Refresher Courses Programme for Teachers in the Academic Staff College of various Universities.
- Delivered Lectures in various Criminal Justice Training Programme organized by Institutions and NGOs
- Participated in various National and International Seminars and Conferences.
- Organized National Seminars / Conferences in the University.
- Participated in various academic bodies in the University.
- Organized Police Training Programme sponsored by BPRD, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India. (For details ANNEXURE III)
Awards and Honors
- Awarded Fellowship for the Year 2000 by the Indian Society of Criminology (FICS) at their Twenty Fifth Annual Conference held at National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, New Delhi on 1st November 2001.
- Elected as President of Indian Society of Victimology, Chennai, in January 2011 for two years.